Divorce and Family Law Attorney in Nashville, TN
A Lawyer Trusted by Nashville Since 2012
Contested Divorce Lawyer Morgan Smith is a Middle Tennessee divorce lawyer who practices primarily in Davidson, Sumner, Wilson and Williamson County divorce and family courts. She is a graduate of the local Vanderbilt University School of Law, and is licensed in the State of Tennessee, District of Columbia, and the local federal court.
Attorney Morgan Smith’s goal is to be the best divorce lawyer she can be for both herself, her clients, and the public at large. Like most successful divorce lawyers, Attorney Smith is frequently at court, which is why her full-time staff members are available from Monday through Friday to help make sure clients get the support and accessibility which makes divorce litigation a little more tolerable.
Attorney Smith works hard to get the best results for her divorce clients, and to protect them from unnecessary risk or emotional hardship. When she is not working, Attorney Smith can be found cheering on the Nashville Predators, reading, or playing PC games with her Husband and cat.
Grounds for Divorce
Tennessee divorce grounds are governed by statute. Your divorce attorney will help you pick your grounds.
Divorce & Small Business
A divorce involving a small business is going to take some extra work for both you and your divorce attorney.
Contested Divorce with Kids
A contested divorce with children is often the most hotly contested type of divorce.
Divorce Law in Nashville
It is important that your divorce attorney understands the specific tendencies and procedures of the county in which your divorce is filed. Unlike many counties in Tennessee where divorces can be heard in Circuit or Chancery Court (see Sumner, Wilson and Williamson counties as an example) Nashville divorces are filed in Davidson County Circuit Court only. 99% of the divorces are assigned to the Third and Fourth Circuits. It is important that your divorce lawyer be familiar with both Judge Robinson in Third Circuit and Judge Smith in Fourth Circuit. Although both judges try to rule in a similar way to keep continuity in the county, each does some things differently. This is one of the many reasons divorce is so complex. To put it in perspective, I have seen other attorneys attempt to handle their own divorces and fail miserably. Even attorneys need someone experienced in divorce to navigate the system and prevent them from making horrible and permanent errors in their settlements.
It is especially important that you chose a Nashville divorce lawyer that is experienced in divorce in both the Third and Fourth circuits, just as it is important that your Williamson County divorce attorney knows their way around the four potential judges who may be assigned to your case. The best Nashville divorce lawyers (and the best Williamson County divorce lawyers) not only understand the law, but they also understand the psychology of the court room, the positions of the judges, local Nashville divorce rules and practices, the emotions involved with the parties, and the stress and sadness associated with the anxiety and disruption of a divorce. For example, the different rules for discovery in every county. An experienced divorce attorney understands these things, and helps guide you through the proceed while ensuring logically that your case is best set up for a possible trial in front of either of the Davidson County Divorce Circuits. A good divorce lawyer will advise you to act in the best way to preserve your rights, and to arrange so you are in the best position possible for custody, property division, child support, alimony, or whatever other issues have arisen in your divorce.
We have prior experience with divorce litigation in the following Middle Tennessee counties: Davidson, Sumner, Wilson, Rutherford, Cheatham, Robertson, Maury, Williams, Montgomery, Smith, Hickman
Attorney Smith most frequently practices divorce law in Davidson, Sumner, Williamson and Wilson counties.
Meet Morgan Smith
Why the focus on contested divorce? Although Attorney Smith handles both uncontested and contested divorces, contested divorces allow her to best utilize her skill set as a smart, creative, and aggressive attorney.
A 2007 graduate of the respected and highly competitive Vanderbilt University School of Law, Attorney Morgan Smith has made a name for herself by working hard to represent her clients to ensure they receive the best result possible, whether that means achieving the best settlement or rolling the dice at trial. Her superb Avvo rating, awards, and committee positions are demonstrative of her work ethic and commitment to her profession. Her hobbies include following and attending local sporting events including her alma mater, creative writing, and managing her fantasy team.
- Middle District of Tennessee, 2011
- District of Columbia, 2010
- State of Tennessee, 2007
- Principal, The Law Office of Morgan Smith
- Areas of practice include Family Law Litigation, Plaintiff’s Employment Litigation (Federal), Appellate
- Attorney, Dundon+Smith, PLLC
- Areas of practice include Family Law Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, Contract Litigation, and Administrative Law
- Department of Human Services
- Conciliation and Hearings, Supervising Attorney
- International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
- Popovic Prosecutorial Trial Team, Clerk
Membership and Committees:
- The Tennessee Bar Association
- The Nashville Bar Association
- The American Association for Justice
- The NBA Committee for Continuing Legal Education, Member
- The NBA LRIS Committee, Chair 2015
- RAN, Vice President 2014
Speaking Engagements and Instruction:
- 2015 CLE MOVIE FESTIVAL: ETHICS & PROFESSIONALISM IN THE MOVIES (My Cousin Vinny, with Karl Warden)
- 2014 NBA CLE by-the-hour DIRECTING THE TRIAL: Skills in Questioning and Controlling Focus (Direct and Cross)
- 2013 CLE by the Hour: Craving Credits ETHICS AND PROFESSIONALISM: CLIENT CONFIDENTIALITY IN THE DIGITAL WORLD Maintaining Privilege and Confidentiality
- 2012 Lincoln on Professionalism Modern Implications of Lincoln’s Views of Professionalism
- 2011 How to Start and Manage a Solo or Small Firm
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 10 Best 2016
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 10 Best 2015
- Three Best Rated Divorce Attorney 2015
- Homerun Hitter Award, NBA/Supreme Court of Tennessee, 2011
Meet the Legal Team
We have an investigator on staff.
Morgan is extremely knowledgeable, compassionate, and understanding with all of her clients. I would recommend her to anyone in need of a great lawyer in Middle TN.
Morgan is an amazing attorney with all the talent, experience, and resources to handle whatever family legal needs you may have. Her professional demeanor is rivaled only by her tenacity to see you through to the successful resolution you deserve.
Morgan Smith is a great family office. I wanted to make sure that my son was taken care of if I wasn’t around to do so myself. She answered all of my concerns and guided me towards a proper remediation of this scenario.